Frequently Asked Questions
Step 1: Take Drivers Ed
Register online by choosing either Drivers Ed or click on the “AP Special” to get Drivers Ed for FREE, and you’ll already be pre-registered for Drivers Training! A Certificate of Completion (pink slip, DMV form DL 400C) will be mailed out within 3-5 business days once you finished the online program.
Step 2: Schedule your DMV Permit Test
Schedule your Permit Test by calling the DMV at (800) 777-0133 or do it online at the DMV website.
VERY IMPORTANT: Please be sure to take your pink certificate along with the materials below.
DMV Permit Test — Materials Needed:
• Proof of Social Security Number.
• Birth Certificate or Passport.
• 2 different forms of acceptable CA Residency Documents
• Pink Drivers Ed Certificate. NOTE: There is a replacement fee of $10 if lost or misplaced.
• Permit Test application fee.
• Complete and submit an original application (form DL 44) signed by your Parent or Legal Guardian. [To obtain a form visit your local DMV or call the DMV at (800) 777-0133 to request one by mail.]
Step 3: Schedule your Drivers Training
Once you have your Permit, you may schedule your Drivers Training by going to our web scheduling system. Since it’s on the web, you may schedule your lessons anytime. Prepare to pay the cost of the training in full. We offer free pick-up & drop-off services. (NOTE: There is a $40 cancellation fee for lesson canceled within 24 hours of appointment.)
Step 4: Practice Driving with Parent or Legal Guardian
You must complete one behind-the-wheel lesson with a Certified Driving Instructor before you can practice driving with a parent/guardian. Within 3-5 business days after completing your 6 hours of Drivers Training, a Completion Certificate (yellow certificate, DMV form 400D) will be mailed to you. Also, before you take your Driver’s License Test, You must provide parent(s) or guardian(s) signatures(s) on your instruction permit certifying that you have completed 50 hours of supervised driving practice (10 hours must be night driving) as outlined in the California Parent-Teen Training Guide.
Step 5: Finally! Schedule your Driver’s License Test
When you are 16 years old and/or 6 months has transpired since you received your Permit, you may now schedule and take your Driver’s License Test by calling the DMV at (800) 777-0133 or at the DMV website.
DMV License Test — Materials Needed:
• Provide proof of driver education/driver training completion (yellow certificate, DMV form OL 238).
NOTE: There is a replacement fee of $10 if lost or misplaced.
• Your Drivers Permit which has been in possession for over 6 months
• Provide a parent’s signature on your instruction permit indicating that you have completed 50 hours of supervised driving (10 hours must be at night)
• Provide proof of insurance (for the vehicle, not necessarily for the student driver)
• Provide proof of vehicle registration
We are here for you at every step of your journey. Call, text, or email us … we are here to serve you!
Thank you for choosing AP Driving School! We are based in Irvine, CA but serve many cities mentioned on our homepage.